The Orioles pulled off a really fine win this evening with an 8-6 victory in 10 innings over the Red Sox – doing so in a fashion they’ve been unable to accomplish for much of the year. Here are the reasons:
1. It is always sweet to beat Boston.
2. It is even sweeter to beat them at Fenway!
3. The Orioles scored all 8 runs without a home run. Of the Orioles 15 hits, 13 were singles – with only a Wieters double and a Hardy triple.
4. The Sox scored 2 runs in 3 different innings – including the bottom of the 9th – and each time the Orioles responded in the following frame by putting runs of the board.
5. The Orioles were 8 for 17 with runners in scoring position!
6. Players up and down the Orioles’ lineup contributed.
7. Though Jim Johnson blew his first save since Obama was a baby, the Orioles did not fold.
8. Did I mention it is sweet to beat the Red Sox? AND – it was a Jon Lester game. And though he is still 14-0 against the Birds, the tide is changing.
This is a game that could well have gone the other way multiple times. Surely it would have with other recent Orioles teams (haven’t we said that a lot this year?). This game could have been a total back-breaker on the season … regaining a lead, Johnson having the Sox down to a final strike in the 9th – only to give up a game-tying 2-run homer, etc., etc.
Check back in the morning for Domenic’s take on the game.